Python vs PHP

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 17:52:38 EDT 2004

Cliff Wells <clifford.wells at comcast.net> wrote:

> My personal feeling on templates is that if you find yourself needing
> very powerful features, you're doing it wrong.  That's what the parent
> programming language is for.  My favorite use for templates is storing
> them in a database so that the end user can modify a website (via a web
> interface) without knowing PHP/Python.  Were I shove too much
> programming into the template, this wouldn't be possible.

With Nevow you're meant to shove no programming at all into the
template, and enabling the modification of the templates by
non-programmers is a key design goal.  (Haven't yet seen any work on
storing them in a DB rather than on the filesystem, or enabling specific
via-web editing thereof rather than the use of normal HTML editing tools
and applications, but that kind of issue seems secondary to the way the
templating system itself is designed).

Nevow is probably not yet mature enough for much more widespread use
than it's getting.  But, it _is_ maturing -- and it seems (regarding its
templating subsystem, forgetting for the moment about other stuff such
as live-page klud^H^H^H^H brilliancies;-) consonant with your goals.

Alex