Quixote Question

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 04:52:49 EDT 2004

[Fuzzyman]
| Quixote is a web-framework. Does it act as a server or can it act as a
| frameowrk using the CGI protocol ?
|
| I would like to develop a website with user login, download manager,
| statistics etc and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. *However* I am
| using someone elses server, so I would like to do it using python CGI.
|
| Is this  :
| a) Possible with Quixote
| b) A sensible use of Quixote

Quixote is *not* a server; the developers recommend Apache,
but basically it'll run with pretty much any kind of CGI,
FastCGI, SCGI etc. etc. and comes bundled with a couple of
sample servers based on Medusa and Twisted respectively.

Quixote *is* a -- to me -- simple and logical way of mapping
URLs to Python modules, classes and functions. It's not dissimilar
to Zope, but *way* simpler to use and understand. It also includes
the idea of PTL which is a Python import hook which simplifies
pushing HTML out of Python functions. You can take the PTL or
leave it, if you prefer some other HTML-mechanism like Cheetah
or your homegrown stuff.

There's also a helpful Quixote mailing list at
http://mail.mems-exchange.org/mailman/listinfo/quixote-users

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk