Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Oct 5 04:44:50 CEST 2004

Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.4255.1096904916.5135.python-list at python.org>...
> >   The idea doesn't seem all bad, but it doesn't seem like a great
> > enough improvement to justify very nearly breaking every Python
> > program ever written in dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of
> > different places.

Clearly you would have to run every program through a reMandiser.

> OK, shoot this proposal right now.

The necessity for a flag day isn't really a problem, because the
translation would be automated.  The real problem is, in my mind, that
Python programs are NOT strings of characters, but are instead a
sequence of lines.  If you change the line terminator, you haven't
changed the meaning of a program.
-russ