GPL and Python modules.

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Oct 26 03:57:20 EDT 2004

Steve Holden wrote:
> But if someone puts
> a module under the GPL then any integrated use of that module is a
> dervied work and must, if redistributed, be put out under the GPL.

Are you really sure? I had a look at the installation directory of my old
Netscape Communicator 4.8 for Linux. There's an interesting sub-directory in
it containing the GPLed source of movemail.

As it looks to me movemail.c is distributed as source since it's GPLed.
Netscape Communicator itself which IMHO uses movemail but was at that time
still distributed as proprietary closed source app. Well, I could be wrong
since movemail is a separately linked executable and this might not count as
integrated use.

Ciao, Michael.