Python utility convert Windows long file name into 8.3 DOS format

Steve Holden steve at
Thu Oct 28 14:07:57 CEST 2004

vincent wehren wrote:

> Simon Brunning wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:55:16 +0200, vincent wehren
>> <vincent at> wrote:
>>> Just note that GetShortPathName expects a valid and accessible path in
>>> your file system.
>> Which is just as it should be. Files that don't exist don't *have*
>> short names. One might be able to put together a function that
>> *guesses* what short name Windows would be likely to give a new file
>> with a given long name, but it would be pretty unreliable, I reckon.
> Exactly. And on top of that, there may be situations where files that
> *do* exist *don't* have a 8.3 alias, making any such guesswork even
> harder. So in retrospect, the correct answer to OP's question should be:
> "No. There is no conversion utility", as the relationship between long
> name - short name is not on of a-to-b conversion.
well that's new information to me, so thanks - I just assumed that any
long filename could be munged. But I think that it's just useful
additional information rather than the "correct answer", since by itself
it would have been rather less than helpful to the OP :-)

Holden Web LLC +1 800 494 3119