Yet Another Command Line Parser

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 04:19:50 EDT 2004

Andrew Dalke <adalke at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Alex:
> > However, it's an interesting characteristic of security that it is _not_
> > free: each security measure, precaution and stance carries a cost in
> > terms of convenience and productivity.
>
> Almost completely agreed, though I think there are cases where
> a solution with better security doesn't have that tradeoff.
>
> Using Python is one .. haven't had to worry much about stack
> overflows, etc. and I've been much more productive.  :)

Right, of course: more generally, increasing code quality tends to
enhance security as a side effect (since many bugs might potentially be
subject to security exploits), as I indicated, yet it also tends to
lower lifetime costs (since maintenance costs are such a high part of
lifetime costs).

Using Python _is_ a case of "increasing code quality"!-)

Alex