Efficient String Lookup?

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at skynet.be
Sun Oct 17 12:17:39 CEST 2004

Chris S. wrote:
> I have a number of strings, containing wildcards (e.g. 'abc#e#' where #
> is anything), which I want to match with a test string (e.g 'abcdef').
> What would be the best way for me to store my strings so lookup is as
> fast as possible?

A  very flexible and fast tool is mxTextTools
see also
which contains a more recent (non recursive) version of the pattern
matching machine
It's faster then regexp (at least sometimes) but much more flexible
Each pattern is stored as (high level) "assembler" for a pattern
matching machine written in C. A Pattern is just a Python tuple
which can be stored (pickled)

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University