IPython functionality to python [was Re: Some notes]

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Wed Oct 13 09:07:31 CEST 2004

>>>>> "bearophile" == bearophile  <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> writes:

    bearophile> about such things. I have few comments and notes on
    bearophile> the Python language. I've just started to learn it;
    bearophile> this is negative because I'm ignorant still, but it's
    bearophile> also positive because I can still see details that
    bearophile> later probably I'll start to ignore.

It's highly typical for the newbies to suggest improvements to the
language. They will usually learn that they are wrong, but the
discussion that ensues can be fruitfull anyway :-).

    bearophile> Some of the functions of IPython seem good and simple,
    bearophile> and I think some of them can be integrated into the
    bearophile> main Python line.

IPython will be going through a Grand Cleanup Real Soon Now (as
Fernando Perez' time permits). Before that, integration of the
functionality probably isn't the smart thing to do.

As it stands, I'd see IPython as a more likely candidate for some kind
of "extra batteries" edition of python.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb