What is Python's answer to Perl 6?

Reinhold Birkenfeld reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net
Sat Oct 30 06:23:16 EDT 2004

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone wrote:
> Reinhold Birkenfeld <reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net> wrote:
>> Perl is going to change dramatically to become a more powerful and
>> easier to (read|write) language.
>
> Why do you say this? Did you read the whole Apocalypses?

Yes, I read most of the Apocalypses, the Exegeses and the Synopses.

> Anyway 15 days ago freshmeat published this:
> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1339/

> Maybe, it's not that easier to read or write.

For average programs, it seems that it will. Just think about classes.
One thing the freshmeat article complains about is breaking
compatibility. Well, you can't correct design mistakes by keeping old
syntax around.

A great plus will be the new regular expressions.

>> Is Python taking a similar step (-> Python 3) some time in the near future?
>
> Why? What do you need to do in python that you can't do right now? Isn't it
> read-write friendly enough?
>
> Perl6 is, currently, a 4 year development effort that no one knows when will
> be ended (I even read that it will take another 4 years), maybe, if it takes
> so much to develop just the first version, it's really too complicated.

That's a point. The whole object system (roles, interfaces, etc.) is far
too complicated and almost no one will need it.

Reinhold

PS: I'm happy with Python, and I'm not going to complain about it. But
as a programmer who uses both languages, I'm just asking because I'm
curious...

--
[Windows ist wie] die Bahn: Man muss sich um nichts kuemmern, zahlt fuer
jede Kleinigkeit einen Aufpreis, der Service ist mies, Fremde koennen