scripting languages vs statically compiled ones

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 28 21:20:47 EDT 2004

Richard Blackwood wrote:
>> Perl                    6
>> Python                  6
>>

> Not above Perl?  I shall have to think about this one.

When I worked in Perl I was about as productive in writing code
as with Python, so this feels about right.

The advantages for Python come when many people work together
(either on a team or pulling in sources from different places)
   - it scales well, so it's better in larger projects
   - I understand how to do OO programming in Python
   - it's easier for the non-software developers I work with
       to use Python for their programming tasks
   - there are fewer corners to worry about.  Perl is
       deliberately full of pointy edges.

These are not orthogonal.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com