How can I make an existing object read-only?

Irmen de Jong irmen at -nospam-remove-this-xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 4 17:47:37 EDT 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:
(and Steven Bethard also, essentially)

> Instead of passing the bare object, pass it wrapped into something like:
>
> class nowrite:
>     def __init__(self, obj): self.__dict__['_obj'] = obj
>     def __getattr__(self, n): return getattr(self._obj, n)
>     def __setattr__(self, n, *args): raise AttributeError, n
>     __delattr__ = __setattr__

Now that was simple, why didn't I think of that myself.
Too much Java coding apparently clogs up your mind :o)

> Of course this only helps avoid accidents, it doesn't give security
> against malicious attacks (there's no known way to do that today in
> Python).

Yes, I am aware of that. It was purely to 'avoid accidents'.

Incidentally, why are you writing:

  def __setattr__(self, n, *args): ...

with a varg list ?  I always assumed it only got a single 'value' parameter?

Thanks

--Irmen.