Python 2.3.4 under AT&T MP RAS SVR4: ld: Symbol referencing errors.

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Wed Oct 20 18:19:02 EDT 2004

Python has failed to find the proper way to produce shared libraries on
your system, and instead ld tried to produce an executable program.
(possibly without also including the standard system libraries either)

I have no idea why strftime or __wcstok_ptr_ are required by
structmodule.o, but you surmise correctly that the next names listed are
functions in Python.  If a shared module was produced, these symbols
would be found at runtime within the python binary instead of being a
link-time error.

Python can build without shared modules--see Modules/Setup.*.  This
isn't used much anymore, as far as I know.

Jeff