Easy List question

Abe Mathews 59Bassman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 11:03:26 EDT 2004

I apologize in advance as I'm new to python, and relatively new to
programming.  However, I took this as a bit of a challenge this
morning to see if I could come up with another method for generating
the permutations of a list.

This is longer than what you proposed, but it makes sense to me and it
doesn't use the "list" name which I believe is reserved in Python.
Permute should return a list containing all of the permutations of the
list that you have given it.

Abe Mathews

def permute(orig_list):
    newlist = [] # this will be a list of permutated lists
    modlist = orig_list[:] # make a copy so we don't mess with the original
    len_l = len(orig_list)

    for i in range(0,len_l):
        if len_l==1:
            return [orig_list]