int/long unification hides bugs

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 26 04:45:45 EDT 2004

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> Could someone please help me with a related question? Why do I have the
> unmistakable feeling that this is a troll? Is it the misspellings? The
> gratuitous sniping? Or the OP's suggestions to provide "real code" when
> he has not done the same?

If you check the archives you'll see the OP's nym come up in two
other hits.  One for a proposal to gcc and another as a proposal to
OpenOffice.  Both of the sort "I think XYZ would be cool", both using
the poor syntax.

Neither show much troll-like behavior.

My guess is the not unusual case of someone who works mostly alone
and doesn't have much experience in diverse projects nor working
with more experience people.

I've seen some similar symptoms working with, for example,
undergraduate students who are hotshot programmers ... when
compared to other students in their non-CS department but not
when compared to, say, a CS student, much less a experienced
developer.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com