Graceful handling of first line

Follower follower at
Thu Oct 14 11:29:39 CEST 2004

Egbert Bouwman <egbert.list at> wrote in message news:<mailman.4563.1097227579.5135.python-list at>...
> Of course it is not difficult to test if you are reading the first line
> or another one, but it hurts my feelings to do a test which by definition
> succeeds at the first record, and never afterwards.
> Any suggestions ?
An alternative approach (which I'm sure will offend just as many
sensibilities) is to use a function that replaces itself.

------ Pseudo-code ------

def process_firstline(...):

   # something here...
   global processline
   processline = process_otherlines

def process_otherlines(...):

   # something here...

processline = process_firstline

for line in file:
   result = processline(line)

If you read more than one file you'll need to reset processline at the
beginning of each file.