GPL and Python modules.

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Oct 25 18:26:09 CEST 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:

> I don't really want to have to come to individual agreements
> with 5-10 different module authors.  That's why "standard"
> licenses were invented.

Yes, and for an author to GPL a module is the standard way of saying use it
as you like in your program, but distribute your part of the work under the
same terms. Basically an embrace-and-extend antidote for code.

I think talking to an author and maybe offering a moderate fee if you want
terms more favourable to your purpose shouldn't be too much.

Otherwise you have to stick to modules with BSD/MIT/Python Licenses - not
that rare in Python land.

Peter