ActivePython/IIS Request Concurrency

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Thu Oct 7 16:34:43 EDT 2004

Erik Rose wrote:
> First, thanks to everybody who's helped me with this problem,
> especially Robert Brewer, who continually provided
> encouragement that yes, my setup _can_ be made to work. :-)
>
> Here's the beef: Python was acting serialized on my server
> because IIS
> goes to extra trouble to forcibly serialize _all_ ASP
> requests made by
> a given user within the scope of a given ASP "application". This
> applies equally to Python, PerlScript, VBScript, etc. and has
> nothing
> to do with Python per se. Isn't that fun? IIS sets a cookie
> (something
> like Set-Cookie:
> ASPSESSIONIDSQCARCQR=PPBNINLCAPCFOCDHMNPGCCFB; path=/)
> on your first request and checks it on subsequent ones. It
> apparently
> keeps a separate queue of requests for each cookie, and no more than
> one ASP script requested by an identically-cookied browser is
> allowed
> to run at a time. Thus, as long as you turn off cookies or
> use a couple
> different browsers in your testing, everything is nicely
> concurrent. In
> the wild, obviously, it will be unproblematic because each user will
> get his own cookie. Phew!!
> (http://groups.google.com/groups?
> threadm=uopADcr%23DHA.4060%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl provided
> the needed
> breakthrough.)
>
> Many thanks again to everybody who replied. I'm off to enjoy
> my lovely
> new language!
>
> Cheers,
> Erik Rose
> Programmer/Analyst
> Pennsylvania State University
>
> P.S. Robert was reporting that his stuff runs concurrently no matter
> what he does. I'm guessing he either has cookies off or else has
> unchecked "Enable session state" in IIS Manager for that
> site. Either
> of these true, Robert?

Why yes, I did turn off "Enable session state"! That was something I ran
into so early on in my foray into Python and ASP that I had forgotten
about it. :) So, turnabout being fair play, you just answered my
long-standing questions about how to get Sessions working with IIS!
Thank YOU. Now my web framework can be more complete, even if I don't
have a need for sessions myself. ;)

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries