Reimplenting Linux Kernel in Python

Michael Hobbs mike at hobbshouse.org
Thu Oct 14 20:37:39 EDT 2004

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> mike at hobbshouse.org (Michael Hobbs) writes:
>> I had once given serious thought to what it would take to write an OS
>> only in a high-level language. (Standard ML was my language of choice
>> at the time.) The short answer is, no, it can't be done with Python as
>> it currently stands.
> But it can be done. It *has* been done.
> [snip]
> Actually, you don't need those modifications to Python. What you need
> is a module written in something other than Python that lets you do
> all those things.

Sorry, I should have emphasized the word *only*. I'm talking about writing
an OS *only* with Python. No C, no assembly, just Python. Writing an OS
without assembly would be impossible unless the compiler can somehow map
required processor opcodes to a function or statement in the higher-level
language. Python does not currently have a proper compiler, much less
functions or statements that would, say, put the processor into protected
mode.

-- Michael Hobbs