Parallelization on muli-CPU hardware?

Дамјан Георгиевски me at here.there.nowhere
Wed Oct 6 16:25:16 CEST 2004

>>  Reading the above, one might be tempted to conclude that presence of the
>>  GIL in the cpython VM is actually a benefit, and perhaps that all
>>  language interpreters should have one!

> Linux is aiming at the future when everyone has 4 or 8
> cores/hyperthreads and I think that is the right decision.  Fine
> grained locking will come to python one day I'm sure.

One of the biggest problems with the GIL for me iswhen Python is embeded
inside some multi-threaded program, like for example inside Apache2 with
the "worker MPM"  (a multithreaded apache process model).

But since some operations release the GIL, maybe its not a big issue even
then.

--
дамјан

              To boldly go where I surely don't belong.