What is Python's answer to Perl 6?

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Sat Oct 30 13:40:08 EDT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:53:13 +0000, gabriele renzi wrote:
> well, they failed to implement all of the tests but those implemented
> actually run faster than  CPython.

It is trivial to make something that implements a subset of the language
run faster than something that implements the entire language.

This is why while I am optimistic and hopeful, I don't consider current
running speeds to be evidence that they will win. Call me when they've got
the whole language.

Also, there is the counterarguement that they probably have debug code and
stuff still in there, or things easily optimized. (I hope so, otherwise
they are Yet Another Project to fall victim to premature optimization;
let me say this clearly, it would be a *bad sign* if their code is
currently optimized.) But that just reinforces my point about the current
code not being useful as a reference for how fast the final Parrot will
run.