speedier cgi and perf monitoring

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Oct 24 18:28:23 EDT 2004

I've seen a couple solutions for making CGI faster without significant
rewrite.  The only one I've been able to locate is fastCGI.  I seem to
recall something like speed CGI or speedy CGI but I can't find I thought
I saw (not a puddytat).  References to this other CGI speedup tool would
be appreciated.

But I've also been playing with performance monitoring to try and
improve performance with a couple of CGI that are very very hard on disk
storage.  Even so, performance isn't what I think it should be.  On the
simple, non disk intensive CGI, running the profiler on the CGI shows
only 0.2 seconds execution time but in reality is takng 10 seconds from
button click to page redisplay.  The HTML is only three or four
kilobytes of relatively simple stuff as well so transmission or
rendering time is not a big factor.

I have some disk intensive CGI which I have measured which showed only a
few tenth of seconds execution time but also takes sometimes 15 or 20
seconds elapsed time.

what's curious is that I'm not seem anyway a detecting which methods are
taking large amounts of elapsed time.  I've tried a different (albeit
simplistic) time bases to try and measure elapsed time rather than CPU
time but with no luck.

suggestions would be most appreciated

---eric (cartoon junkie)