I sing the praises of lambda, my friend and savior!

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Oct 13 13:47:56 EDT 2004

Clark C. Evans wrote:

>In general, indentation is great for "outer-structure" that is,
>delimiting large code blocks.  While delimiter based scoping is good
>for inner structures, small blocks of code.  It should not be an
>either/or thing, one should properly have the option of using either
>option depending upon which style brings the most clarity.

Except that the Python philosophy is that overall, the greatest clarity
is achieved by having a single obvious way to do things.  In this
viewpoint, there may be individual cases where delimiter-based scoping
is clearer, but these are only local maxima; the use of a mixture of
different styles (indentation and delimiters) will, over the entire
corpus of Python-language programming, result in significantly less
total clarity.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International