GUI development: Java vs. Python (was: Calling (C)Python code from Java: Is it JPype?)

Neil Benn neil.benn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:51:24 EDT 2004

claird at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote in message news:<sis032-lej.ln1 at lairds.us>...
> In article <mailman.4178.1096637558.5135.python-list at python.org>,
> Neil Benn  <benn at cenix-bioscience.com> wrote:
> 			.
> >          As I remember, the OP said that he was going to use Java - the
> >GUI toolkit for that is very nice and extremely portable (no cross
> >platform niggling little issues 'the window doesn't behave that way on
> >linux - well it does on windows!!') - the reason for this - Java GUI
> >(Swing ignore AWT for the point of this - AWT has the same problems as
> >other native GUI toolkits) is _not_ native.  Although I must agree that
> 			.
> 			.

Hello,

       Comments embedded beneath - BTW please use Neil, Mr Benn is the
name of cartoon in Britain and I get the piss taken out of me for
it!!!!!!

> Mr. Benn, you're saying something important here, but something
> which merits, at least, qualification.  Certainly the Java com-
> munity has given considerable attention to the "write once, run
> everywhere" goal.  My own experience has been that their success
> in regard to GUIs is mixed, at best.

<snip>

   Err, well with Swing - I experienced very few cross platform issues
when using lightweight components - as soon as I introduce heavyweight
components into the equation - yes these issues start appearing.  I
only use AWT when programming Personal Java/Profile (that API doesn;t
include Swing) and it's always a pain moving from one platform to
another.  This is just a difference of opinion here and will always be
subjective.

> Maybe it would help to clarify a bit--*which* "GUI toolkit" do
> you have in mind?  I *think* you're talking about Swing--is that
> right?

<snip>

Quote from original e-mail - 'Java GUI (Swing ignore AWT for the point
of this'

Yes - swing, although I did embed that bit in brackets

> My conclusion:  while Java undeniably aspires to be portable in
> its GUI, those with a stake in the outcome need to specify clearly
> their requirements.  Java does *not* currently provide perfect
> portability.

I agree there isn't 'perfect portability' (partly because its
difficult to define perfect!!)  but it is good - take a look at
something like jedit - it works across all platforms I've tried it on
(OSX, OS9, Windows, Solaris, Linux).  For a quick test - get the look
and feel option in most java programs and flick about between the
different models - I think if performs commendably - much better than
the 'wrapper over native' type of GUI toolkits.

  As a quick aside - does anyone know of a cross-language non native
GUI toolkit apart from Mozilla?

Cheers,

Neil