New to Python: Features

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 19:28:30 CEST 2004

Richard Blackwood <richardblackwood at cloudthunder.com> wrote:
> Oh great, Python has nearly everything, you just have to add on
> modules.

...except that this doesn't and can't alter syntax, nor the behavior of
built-ins.  This is very deliberate.

>  Not bad, pretty cool actually.  If use this PyProtocols will
> my program be slower than if protocols were built-into the language?

The speed of an operation doesn't necessarily depend on whether it's
bundled with the language or implemented in a 3rd-party extension -- it
does depend a lot on how it's implemented, of course, but it's quite as
feasible to distribute speedy implementations separately as bundled, and
viceversa, lots of Python's standard library is implemented in Python
and not necessarily super-fast (in the transition 2.3 -> 2.4, currently
ongoing, general speedups of around 15%-20% are being observed, and up
to 1000% on some entirely reimplemented modules...).

Alex