PIL JPEG Windows Problem

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 28 08:42:42 EDT 2004

If nobody has a quick answer I'll go to the PIL list, but I'm having
problems with PIL JPEG support on Windows, and figured someone on c.l.py
might have solved this problem.

I built the Cygwin PIL from source, and that works a treat.
Unfortunately the Windows version (1.1.4 and 1.1.5b1) loaded using
binary installers is giving

   File "/c/steve/website/hpgraphics.py", line 23, in ?
   File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\PIL\ImageFont.py", line 115, in ?
     class FreeTypeFont:
   File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\PIL\ImageFont.py", line 132, in
FreeTypeFont
     def getmask(self, text, mode="", fill=Image.core.fill):
   File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py", line 45, in
__getattr__
     raise ImportError("The _imaging C module is not installed")
ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed

When I import the _imaging module directly a dialog box informs me that
libjpeg.dll can't be found, and I have confirmed that it isn't anywhere
on the disk  - I have a libjpeg.dll.a as part of cygwin, but I can't
persuade myself this can be munged into suitable form. It would be nice
if I were wrong ...

The PIL docs do say something about having to add JPEG support, but
unfortunately I can't find any information about adding *Windows* JPEG
support.

regards
  Steve
--