documentation files - where to install ?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Oct 12 07:51:59 EDT 2004

Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> Peter Otten wrote:
>> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>

>>>So, what's the canonical installation location for the HTML documentation
>>>files (if I don't want to use the environment variable PYTHONDOCS)
>>

>> Here's where Python 2.3 looks for the documentation:
>>
>> <pydoc.py excerpt>
>>         homedir = os.environ.get('PYTHONHOME')
>>         for dir in [os.environ.get('PYTHONDOCS'),
>>                     homedir and os.path.join(homedir, 'doc'),
>>                     os.path.join(execdir, 'doc'),
>>                     '/usr/doc/python-docs-' + split(sys.version)[0],
>>                     '/usr/doc/python-' + split(sys.version)[0],
>>                     '/usr/doc/python-docs-' + sys.version[:3],
>>                     '/usr/doc/python-' + sys.version[:3],
>>                     os.path.join(sys.prefix,
>> 'Resources/English.lproj/Documentation')]:
>>             if dir and os.path.isdir(os.path.join(dir, 'lib')):
>>                 self.docdir = dir
>> </pydoc.py excerpt>
>>
>> I've got the impression there may be a 'break' missing.
>
> Strangely, it looks the same here (Python 2.4 installed in
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4) I would have expected something like
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/doc So, I'd like to suggest to add a 'configure'
> option for this.

No patience to read up http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html right
now, but if there is a standard location for documentation concerning
programs installed from source (/usr/local/share/doc/pythonXXX with the
proper version suffix maybe?) it could just be added to the hardcoded paths
in pydoc.py.
What would you expect the configure option to do?

Peter