New to Python: Features

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Oct 6 03:51:36 EDT 2004

> Weird, I guess that means I can manipulate them in this way.  Wonder if
> I can add keywords...

Nope, changing the contents of that module won't change the behavior of
the interpretor.

> ><SNIP>
> >Don't be frustrated.  It is dynamically typed, but it is STRONGLY typed.
> >
> >Anything that you would want to do with a static typed language, can be
> >done with Python.
> >
> Thanks.  Doesn't this make my scripts slower though?

If you want speed, pick another language.  Just kidding.

In the case of speed, I find my brain speed to be a far more important
resource than processor speed; which is where Python wins hands-down for
me.  I can write good Python almost as fast as I can think and type,
which gets me around 400 lines/day on average, or the equivalent of
1600-4000 lines of C/C++ or Java.

> >Pyrex can compile a subset of Python to C.
> >
> Great, I'll check that out.  I guess that will allow me to extend the
> language in C.

Yes, though Pyrex is not required for C<->Python interaction.  You can
do it all by hand, though SWIG and Boost Python seem to work pretty well.

> AWE-SOME Josiah.  I don't know how to thank you.  If I was **** off that
> might do you some good eh?  Alright then.  Thanks.

Firstborn?  I'm just kidding of course.  No, really, I plan on making my
own babies someday; with cadaver parts and lightning - no, I mean
naturally with my wife.  Serves me right for catching bits of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368730/ today.

 - Josiah