Economic considerations

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 22:25:27 CEST 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:43:56 -0300, Jorge Godoy <godoy at ieee.org> wrote:
> To be honest, I have no idea what are these things for.  I just know
> that there's something with regards to CMYK here, but I haven't seen
> Pantone.  (OK, I know that these are color representation "tables", but
> I don't know when to use one or the other or when to use RGB...  An
> architect friend of mine explained that but she was talking about other
> things too and I didn't pay much attention to that...)

Pantone is a table of standard spot colors. It's used in professional
printing because they can guarantee you that the color that you'll see
in the final print is *exactly* the same that you see in your own
printed color reference card. Try that in the GIMP, or in any other OS
design package. In general, conversion between different color models
is *tricky*, and you would be surprised at how precise our eyes are
with regards to small differences.

(I just read about Scribus, though, and about the color management
system that they're using there - littlecms - this is now being
integrated into GIMP. Don't know the results, but it's the right
step).

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos