Is except: ... pass bad style?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Sep 9 13:06:02 EDT 2004

In article <pan.2004.09.09.16.26.16.985806 at python.net>,
marduk  <marduk at python.net> wrote:

>I commonly use code like this
>
>try:
>    # call optional method
>    myobj.method()
>except AttributeError:
>    # no biggie
>    pass
>
>Occasionally I use pylint, which is a good tool, but in the above
>snippet pylint will complain that 'Except doesn't do anything'.  True,
>but is that bad style?  I know there are other ways of doing it, but
>of all the other "obvious" ones, this appears the most straight
>forward.
>
>Should I ignore pylint or is there a more Pythonic way to do this?

Neither.  It's a perfectly good Pythonic idiom, but it's also likely to
be programmer error (mocking up the try/except structure and forgetting
to fill in the blanks later).  So you should ignore pylint when it's
code you're familiar with (and have already double-checked your
intentions), but you should pay attention to pylint when you're writing
new code and checking it.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  --Ralph Waldo Emerson