Ranting about the state of Python IDEs for Windows

Dave Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Tue Sep 14 08:54:37 EDT 2004

In article <mailman.3261.1095106220.5135.python-list at python.org>, Carlos
Ribeiro wrote:

> The funny thing is that I don't need anything particularly fancy. A
> good Python editor, syntax coloring, a few helpers (moving blocks &
> stuff). Debugging is good, but it's not what I really miss. Even form
> designers -- I could live without them. What I really miss are stuff
> that I regard as basic: a tabbed editor window for multiple files, and
> a good project manager interface -- a place where I can find all the
> files belonging to my projects without having to move around the
> directory tree whenever I have to do anything. Could I do it using
> only command-line tools? Probably, but it's not comfortable,
> convenient or productive. A good IDE would bring me these three things
> that I'm longing for.

XEmacs has tabbed editing (maybe GNU Emacs does now, too?  ctrl-click does
bring up a buffer menu.) The standard emacs package recent_files is useful
for keeping track of projects.  And these days the emacsen are lightweight
compared to many other environments.  It's a great environment for python
development.

http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/

Dave Cook