Installing scripts and documentation

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Mon Sep 6 18:30:47 EDT 2004

Someone recently brought this up in the thread "Linux application
deployment", but from a slightly different angle.

I have a problem.

When I write small utilities for Unix in C, C++, Perl or /bin/sh, I always
write one or more manpages, and make all of it installable with a trivial
Makefile with an 'install' target. The things end up in /usr/local/bin,
/usr/local/man etc by default.  Crude, but works well enough for my
purposes.

Nowadays, when I write some things in Python, there's a problem. The list of
installable things suddenly tends to include modules as well (which I
usually try to wrap in a package).

Distutils is the only tool which knows what to do with these (compiling
them, placing them in the correct site-packages etc), but at the same time
distutils knows nothing about copying executables to somewhere in the $PATH,
copying manual pages to somewhere in $MANPATH, and so on.

Any tools, tricks or conventions that I'm unaware of?

BR,
Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!