New Programmer and Python

Andrea Griffini agriff at tin.it
Sun Sep 19 02:29:54 EDT 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:36:22 -0400, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

>Some people think it's absolutely brilliant, others think it's the
>stupidest thing they've ever heard of.  But, it is what it is, it's not
>going to change, nobody in either camp is ever going to be convinced to
>change their mind, and there is nothing that can be said about it on
>either side which hasn't already been said 100 times already.

I don't agree that nobody in either camp is ever going to be convinced
to change their mind. I for example was in the "that's the stupidiest
thing I've heard of (since COBOL)" and now changed my mind.
Not sure if this really counts... as indeed my initial position was
just *before* actually trying to write any non-trivial python program.

Andrea

PS: I'm sure this is one of the things said 100 times
    already... but I remember students of programming courses
    at university that were used to write their programs in
    Pascal with no indentation and, once the program were
    working and before submitting them, adding proper
    indentation "because otherwise the professor gets mad".
    I'm not kidding about this.