Social Analysis and Modeling for Python

Bishara Gabriel bgabriel at cloudthunder.com
Thu Sep 30 21:24:40 EDT 2004

Cameron Laird wrote:

>In article <2s2q4uF1fcanvU1 at uni-berlin.de>, val <val at vtek.com> wrote:
>			.
>

>>well, 'If this were my proposal, I'd aim for the far more powerful,'
>>"In addition to conventional wisdom, Python may be considered as
>>a unique *science tool* providing an opportunity (1) *to build models
>>programmatically* - using online experimental data, data-driven
>>techniques, and databases integrated with the models, (2) to keep
>>the models in a dynamic format available for online analysis,
>>testing, and updating.  Such online science/reasoning tools may as well be a
>>unique
>>communication vehicle among scientists speeding up drastically
>>understanding complex/data-intensive phenomena such as genome dynamics,
>>social processes, terror networks, industrial dynamics, etc."
>>

>Hear, hear!  Well-done.

As I said, an excellent suggestion indeed.  Unfortunately, we already
have enough on our plate (as you pointed out) considering the time frame
and resources allowed to us.  If we had instead applied for a NSF grant
(three years, large budget) then we would have no problem with asserting
our ability to utilize *online*-experimental data, to keep the models in
a dynamic format available for *online* analysis, and so forth.  Our
limited time and resources will narrow our capabilities in this respect.

If we had a larger team of regular contributors, this might be more
plausible.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely,
Bishara Gabriel