python ides

Norm Matloff matloff at laura.cs.ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 21 13:03:11 EDT 2004

I agree with Jeff's comments 100%.

Some years ago I used WingIDE for Java a bit, and I agree that it was
quite nice.  I'll bet the Python version is equally nice.  But I also
recall that, like almost all IDEs, it has a significant startup time,
and has various other kinds of overhead.

And YES, I definitely DO want to use the same text editor (in my case,
vim) in all the work I do, from programming to word processing to e-mail.

In my view, IDEs add little functionality at rather great cost in terms
of time, memory, etc.  It gives a nice visual pleasure, and to those who
didn't come of age during the command-line days, this pleasure is taken
as a given, but I think the IDE concept is vastly overrated.  Making
good use of sophisticated text editor will give you the same programming
benefits without the drawbacks.

But hey, I sometimes surf the Web using Lynx. :-)

Norm Matloff