WxInter

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Fri Sep 10 17:57:27 CEST 2004

Michael Sparks wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>

>>    Tom> It seems that the thing that people like about Tk is the Canvas
>>    Tom> object has anyone tried the wxFloatCanvas as a replacement.
>>
>>Where is it?  Google turns up essentially nothing for "wxFloatCanvas" on
>>either groups or web.  That makes it a pretty well-hidden object.  Google
>>offered "wxPlotCanvas" as an alternative.  Are they related?
>

> http://www.wxpython.org/docs/api/wx.lib.floatcanvas.FloatCanvas.FloatCanvas-class.html

Compare this with the tk canvas command manual at
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TkCmd/canvas.htm and you'll see we're quite far
from it: I didn't see any means to move canvas items individually, or group them
with tags, or knowing which items are at a given position, all things a tk
canvas can do very easily...

The main difference between the tk canvas and the other toolkits' canvases is in
fact quite simple: in other toolkits, once displayed, a canvas item is just a
bunch of points. In tk, it remains a whole item which can be manipulated as a
whole. Basically, in tk, canvases are for vector drawing; in other toolkits,
they're more for bitmap drawing. And this makes quite a difference...