initializing mutable class attributes

Dan Perl dperl at
Thu Sep 2 16:04:33 CEST 2004

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at> wrote in message
news:1gjhleb.6l5nbvaf0x06N%aleaxit at
> Bengt Richter <bokr at> wrote:
> I could use it in the Cookbook, side by side with Dan's "overloading
> __new__" idea and my custom metaclass, as various approaches to solving
> a 'problem' (if that be one) of "automatically initializing mutable
> instance attributes".  It would help if you and/or Dan posted these
> recipes to ActiveState's online cookbook ASAP (deadline is Sat Sep 5...)
> -- I'm allowed to add recipes that didn't show up on the online
> cookbook, but that _is_ discouraged... (and posting the recipes myself
> isn't much better, either).

I already submitted mine.  It's recipe #303059, so go to:

You are right in an earlier posting that another call to __init__ in the
__new__ was redundant.  It was even a problem when using it in the multiple
inheritance case.  I figured out eventually that it's not needed and I got
rid of it.