theme of the week: tools

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 11:40:36 EDT 2004

I was one of the frequent posters on the many tools/ides/gui threads
that appeared here over the past weeks. I'm now partly satisfied. My
search for a good IDE that is usable in my lowend machine is still not
completed. But I found a good setup using a free editor and PythonWin
working together.

I'm using Crimson Editor, a small freeware editor. The most
interesting part is that it isn't the most featured of all editors
I've tried; it isn't as powerful as vi or emacs, but has one feature
that I wanted the most, that is a fairly simple project management
tool. It simply allows me to organize a list of files that I'm using
for a project on the left pane. I can click on a file to open it. It's
amazingly useful when you're dealing with "hot" files stored on
several different directories, and you don't have to remember where is
it located, or to manually walk the open file dialog looking for it.

I'm using PythonWin for testing, mostly because the Windows console is
so braindead, and because PythonWin help is quick well organized (it's
about the same that you find in the web, but a little bit more
convenient).

I'm also evaluating Wing IDE 2.0; I had a few issues with it that were
solved, but for some tasks I found it too heavy for my limited
resources. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on it.