[OT] "Pre-announcement" of Python-based "computing appliance" project.

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Sep 24 16:29:58 EDT 2004

Ville Vainio wrote:

>    Richard> undecidable things left unsaid for now. It is a commonly
>    Richard> accepted thesis that the universe is evolving following
>    Richard> some, possibly ultimately unknowable, immutable set of
>    Richard> laws. Humans *do* seem to do
>
>Is it? For some reason or another, many seem to believe that quantum
>mechanics provides some blissfull exit from the immutable set of laws
>(and deterministic universe). It's a place where God throws dice every
>time a particle hits another.

Ah, but quantum mechanics are still a (supposedly) immutable set of laws
-- they are nondeterministic laws, to be sure, but that doesn't prevent
them from being laws.  Quantum uncertainty follows a specific set of
rules, even if we haven't figured out what all of those rules are, and
even if those rules are expressed in probabilities.  If one were to
believe that the universe did not follow an immutable (or nearly so) set
of laws, then one would also necessarily believe that science is
pointless, since the purpose of science is to try to figure out the laws
by which the universe operates.  God may throw dice, but if we're
careful we can reconstruct the rules of the game He's playing.  :)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International