Set and {} comparison confusion

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at actimize.com
Thu Sep 9 07:10:51 EDT 2004

Well I am not talking about algebra. Those rules are clear to me.

> Basically, __lt__ is meaningful if it's transitive,
> non-reflective, and
> compatible with your == and != (which I assume are compatible
> with each
> other); a transitive non-reflective < defines implicitly an
> equivalence
> relation, a eqv b <--> not (a < b or b < a), and you need your == to
> express exactly that equivalence relation... so if your == is
> meaningful, your < can't really be 'meaningless'!-)

I don't agree with you. I can compare properties of some object.
For example I can compare cows:
 one python is longer then other ( length )
 one python is heavier then other ( weight )
 one python is older then other ( age )

But I can't define meaningful operator "<" on pythons.
I can compare pythons only property by property. I don't thing
that next code is meaningful

def __lt__( self, other_python ):
	return self.length < other_python.length \
             and self.weight < other_python.weight \
             and self.age < other_python.age

I see this code as meaningless on python's.

> > Thank you for help. I think I have a dicision:
> > 1. I will implement meaningless __lt__
> > 2. I will sort ( I don't have duplicated items ) every time
> I need to compare
> > 2.1 Because sort is happen in place next time it will take
> less time to sort.
>
> Yes, that does seem to make sense to me.  Once two lists without
> duplicates are sorted, they're equal as sets iff they're == as lists;
> and yes, maintaining sorted order is typically quite cheap in
> Python due
> to Tim Peters' powerful natural mergesort algorithm as implemented
> inside list.sort (though it might be worth having a look at the bisect
> module, it's likely going to be faster to just sort the lists each
> time).
>

> > Again - Thanks for help. It was very usefull. It seems that
> I had wrong
> expectation
> > from set - " unordered set collection based only on
> comparison operators".
> > My mistake.
>
> Ah, isn't set documented to need hashable elements?  It should be.  Of
> course, _why_ your class appears to be hashable when it defines __eq__
> and not __hash__ I dunno -- Python should diagnose that, but it does't
> appear to...

It is my fault too. All my classes derives from object. object do implements __hash__
function. I think I should raise exception if somebody tries to insert object into
set \ dictionary