up with PyGUI!

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Thu Sep 16 22:44:10 EDT 2004

aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:

>> I remember iBooks starting at something like US$ 2100.00...  That's more
>> than half of the Dell :-)
>
> iBooks start at about HALF what you remember.

Not here.  :-)  As I said, I wish we had the prices you do in Europe and
in the US.

> Why Apple chooses to price stuff cheap in richer countries, US foremost,
> and dearer the poorer the country, I dunno.

I think their logistics cost is lower in the US than in the rest of the
world.  Their market is bigger there too.

> That's very important -- piracy is pretty widespread in Southern Europe,
> too, and from my POV what it does is first and foremost present unfair
> competition to free software.

I am tired of showing clients that they have to be very careful not to
buy a cat instead of a rabbit... ;-)

> Hmmm, but it seems that the main issue you have with Qt is that it's
> free only if you DO use it on and for free software -- that's what the
> GPL is all about.  If a free-software culture it's OK; in a
> software=for=money culture it's OK; it seems to grate only on developers
> who want not to pay for the software they use but still charge for the
> software they sell.

I would pay for it if the price was fair to me.  It isn't, so I have to
avoid using it.  It's that simple...

Fortunately, we're starting to do more free software than closed
software.

Things are getting better. :-)

> Personally, I'm extremely happy that the culture of commercial software
> is moving away from such complicated pricing schemes that were the norm
> some years ago.  The attempt to reflect "what is this sw actually worth

There are some market niche where it still happens...  And for software
licensed per CPU, how is it billed on HT enabled CPUs? ;-) The hardware
starts adding more complications to such commercial licensing world.

> to YOU" doesn't work, anyway.  I can have a 1000-$ program where, say,
> Qt's functionality is actually 80% of what I'm doing -- a program that's
> mostly-GUI... -- and I can have a 10000-$ one where the GUI matters very
> marginally, say the program is mostly about clever heuristic engines
> scavenging through DBs and networks and all I want is a little sysadm
> GUI console on the side for a customer's sysadm to keep an eye on
> things.

Then, this is your choice to use such a GUI or not.  It's the same thing
I do with the free / not free (free beer) stuff now.  If the software I
write is free (free speech and possibly free beer), I don't mind that
much in making it GPL or BSDL or anothr free license (I personally like
the GPL idea, so this is the one I use).

>> Of course, I'm looking at my side, they found that their business model
>> is different and I must either accept it or not use it.  For now, not
>> using it -- even liking more the appearance of the widgets -- has been
>> my choice.
>
> It's definitely your choice.  I do hope you get some opportunity to do
> GPL development and try it out, because I think it's really good.

I do it.  And I like it too.  But I have to pay the bills and even
though everything is transferred to the customer, some of them don't
like the idea of a free license to their software.

>> I guess I deviated a lot from the original intention of the post, and
>> I'm sorry for that.  It wasn't my intention.  I just wanted to see the
>> toolkit on the OSs it supports :-)
>
> If you're looking for a native appearance on Windows, as I understand
> things, you won't get it with PyGUI until somebody makes a back-end...

I am not looking for it.  I use wxPython and it does give me that.  And
the native look on Mac too.  I was just saying that a GUI toolkit with
no pictures of how it looks like on its website is bad marketing.  I
hope it all doesn't start again :-)

--
Godoy.     <godoy at ieee.org>