Combining mode and encoding in emacs

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Sep 3 12:41:31 EDT 2004

In article <slrncjh719.bs2.mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no>,
 mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no (Magnus Lie Hetland) wrote:

> If I want to specify both mode and source encoding using the
>
>   -*- FOO -*-
>
> syntax in emacs -- how can I do that? Both insist on being on the
> second line of the file, yet I have found no way of combining them.
> That is, the following doesn't work properly (not in all emaxen, at
> least):
>
>   #!/usr/bin/env python
>   # -*- encoding: iso-8859-1 -*-
>   # -*- python -*-
>
> If I switch the two, Python doesn't get the encoding. (I need to
> specify the mode, because the file has a '.cgi' ending.)
>
> Any tips?

You can set the mode (and a lot of other things) with a local variable
list on the last page (i.e. after the last form-feed).  Put something
like this at the end of your file:

#
# ^L
#

# Local Variables:
# mode:python
# End:

Look up info on "file variables" for more details.  The -*- stuff is
just a convenient shorthand for a subset of what you can do with the
more verbose Local Variables syntax.