Linux application deployment

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Sun Sep 5 13:10:10 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> pisze:

>> import sys, os
>>
>> me = os.path.abspath(sys.argv[0])
>
> That's only mostly reliable.  Nothing in Linux/Unix actually requires that
> argv[0] be the program's path.  It is the convention to pass that as
> argv[0], but there may be corner cases where it doesn't work.

Based on Python docs:

"""
argv

    The list of command line arguments passed to a Python script.
    argv[0] is the script name (it is operating system dependent whether
    this is a full pathname or not). If the command was executed using
    the -c command line option to the interpreter, argv[0] is set to the
    string '-c'. If no script name was passed to the Python interpreter,
    argv has zero length.
"""

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sys.html

In my opinion, this would be enough to get full path of currently
running program, if run from script. Are there any caveats (except this
"-c" option, which I don't count, as is not relevant in most cases)?

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/