How do I build Python 2.3.4 on OpenBSD 3.5?

Noah noah at noah.org
Wed Sep 15 15:01:45 EDT 2004

I'm getting configure warnings and make errors when I try to
build Python 2.3.4 under OpenBSD 3.5. I don't see anything in the
README under "Platform specific note" for OpenBSD. I tried
opening the Python tar file using gtar and I tried using gmake
just to make sure there wasn't anything weird going on there
(I know that using BSD tar when building Zope used to cause
problems, so I first thought I might be having a similar problem.
I'm using gcc version 2.95.3 20010125 (prerelease, propolice).
That's the default that comes with OpenBSD. I didn't change anything.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
I'd appreciate any advice. Hopefully this is a simple mistake...

Here is a clip of the configure warnings that I get:
	configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: present but cannot be compiled
	configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
	configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf at gnu.org. ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
	configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: present but cannot be compiled
	configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
	configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf at gnu.org. ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
	configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: present but cannot be compiled
	configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
	configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf at gnu.org. ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
	configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: present but cannot be compiled
	configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
	configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf at gnu.org. ##
	configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##

Here is what I see when I try make:
    bash-2.05b# gmake
    gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include  -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o
Modules/python.o Modules/python.c
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:38,
                 from Include/pyport.h:118,
                 from Include/Python.h:48,
                 from Modules/python.c:3:
    /usr/include/sys/event.h:53: syntax error before `u_int'
    /usr/include/sys/event.h:55: syntax error before `u_short'
    gmake: *** [Modules/python.o] Error 1

Here is a clip from the config.log file showing the error for select:
    configure:4697: checking sys/select.h usability
    configure:4710: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:38,
                 from configure:4773:
    /usr/include/sys/event.h:53: syntax error before `u_int'
    /usr/include/sys/event.h:55: syntax error before `u_short'
    configure:4713: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    | #line 4699 "configure"
    | /* confdefs.h.  */