view http info when browsing

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 04:46:29 EDT 2004

santoshamb at yahoo.com (ben) wrote in message news:<56d498d9.0409051725.1c7d3258 at posting.google.com>...
> I'm trying to write a web client script in python to log onto a web
> page and pull some information off of it.  The page has quite a few
> behind the scenes http things going on that are making it difficult to
> write the python script.  I think if I could see the raw http data
> that comes to my browser life would be much easier.  Does anybody know
> of programs that would run alongside my browser and show the http data
> that is send back and forth?
>
> I've looked at plugins like httpwatch and iewatch.  httpwatch looks
> good but it costs quite a bit of money, and the trial is not fully
> functional.  iewatch has a free trial, but they don't show cookie
> info, which is important.
>
> Does anybody know a good way of view the raw http?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Ben

TCPwatch should do what you want. It's a proxy serverso you'll have to
point your browser at that - it shows headers and page content
etc.....

If you're handling cookies then ClientCookie (or cookielib) could well
do what you want without you having to worry about it (if you're using
python why do you need a browser - why can't you just print the
headers ?)

Regards,

Fuzzy