explainations about standard library and modules in Python.

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Sep 2 14:51:58 EDT 2004

Hung ho wrote:

>    My question is that, can anyone recommend me any book, or online materials that
 > could explain what the functions some of the modules in the standard
 > library  can do that are packaged along with Python v. 2.3.4?. For
 > example, I read some modules such as os.py, sys.py, and random.py
 > The documents in those modules didn't help me to comprehend what
 > the purpose of the modules, and how to use them in Python.

No beginner is expected to read the source code itself to figure
things out.  Go to the online documentation at http://docs.python.org
and browse through it.  Make sure you read the tutorial, but if
you have questions about specific modules, go to the Global Module

For example, read the first sentence of each of these two learn the
purpose of the modules you mentioned:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sys.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-random.html