Secure delete with python

Boris Genc boris.genc at REMOVE_mindless_ME.com
Mon Sep 6 11:16:12 EDT 2004

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:10:49 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

> When people talk about secure deletion of data, they generally mean
> things like over-writing the physical disk blocks that used to hold the
> file with random data.  The details of how you do this is extremely
> operating system dependent (and probably also on what kind of file
> system, hardware, etc).  Not to mention that the definition of "secure"
> will vary with the type of data, and who's doing it (i.e. what I
> consider secure probably doesn't pass muster with the military).

Yes, I was thinking about overwriting the data I want to be deleted with
random data. I know that things like that are OS specific. I wasn't
thinking about all those Gutmann methods and 27 passes, it's more like a
simple utility, more "hide from your sister" than "hide from the
government" type:)

Anyway, thank you guys. Benjamin, I think your method will suit me, thank
you.