memory allocation

benevilent at optusnet.com.au benevilent at optusnet.com.au
Sun Sep 19 07:21:21 EDT 2004

Hey,

I'm trying to debug the memory allocation in an embedded use of the
Python interpreter.

The longer I leave my program running the more memory it consumes. The
total number of objects in the system is not increasing (many are being
allocated and deallocated).

Using mtrace I have established that the only memory which is not being
freed is that which is allocated at Objects/obmalloc.c:429. It appears to
be allocating new arenas in proportion to it's running time.

I don't have an in-depth understanding of Python's object allocator. Does
anybody have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Laurie