up with PyGUI!

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Sat Sep 25 14:20:07 EDT 2004

On Sep 25, 2004, at 4:49 AM, OKB (not okblacke) wrote:

> You've already had to retype "self.b1" twice just to
> specify the size and caption.  What if you wanted to specify a color?
> background color?  To say nothing of an event handler.

	Obviously, if things were that complex, you could set a reference to
the button and use that reference instead of the 'self' construct.

class MainForm(dabo.ui.dForm):
      def __init__(self, parent=None):
           self.addObject(ButtonDescription, "b1")
           btn = self.b1
           btn.Size = (40,40)
           btn.Caption = "b1"

There is also nothing to prevent you from writing that button as a
class definition (although I have a personal dislike of a 'class' being
used for an instance). Something like:

class MainForm(dabo.ui.dForm):
      def __init__(self, parent=None):
           class btn1(ButtonDescription):
                Size = (40, 40)
                Caption = "b1"
           self.addObject(btn1, "b1")

	To my eye, that's a lot uglier than writing it as it is: instance
coding. Dressing it up as a class in order to save typing 'self' isn't
justified, IMO.

      ___/
     /
    __/