How do I build Python 2.3.4 on OpenBSD 3.5?

Noah noah at noah.org
Fri Sep 17 13:28:11 EDT 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote in message news:<41489418$0$26168$9b622d9e at news.freenet.de>...

> OpenBSD does not support Python, so Python has to work around.
> However, the OpenBSD work-around is only in force for versions
> up to OpenBSD 3.4. In configure, locate the place where it
> talks about OpenBSD; then add a 5 to the place that already
> lists 234.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Is it more correct to say that Python does not support OpenBSD?
It seems like the language should support the OS and not the other way around.
What limitations are there for Python on OpenBSD? What work-arounds does
Python have to take? It looks like it undefines _XOPEN_SOURCE.
Does this limit features on OpenBSD?

Should it be a bug that configure doesn't also do this for OpenBSD 3.5?
Although Python 2.3.4 came out before OpenBSD 3.5.

Thanks for the tip. This fixed everything and it builds fine now.

Yours,
Noah