SegFault using deque in 2.4b3

George Yoshida ml at dynkin.com
Thu Sep 30 13:55:01 EDT 2004

Stefan Behnel wrote:

> In Python 2.4b3, the deque is causing a segfault on two different
> machines I tested on.
>
> With deque, my program runs fine for a while (at least some tens of
> seconds up to minutes) and then suddenly segfaults.
>
> I'm sorry I can't tell exactly when, but I'm running an application that
> uses a few hundred deques where elements are appendleft()ed and pop()ed
> (simple queue). As the application is rather complex (and I didn't read
> about this error before anywhere), I guess it could be quite a bit of
> work for me to come up with a test case.
>
> Has anyone else observed this problem?

With trials and errors, I could come up with a deque program which
splits out a Segmentation Fault. (This program is attached at the
end of this mail.) With this program, I get segfault one or two
times out of three on average.

It uses a poor programming style,like appending myself or creating
unnecessary numbers of threads. Anyway it *does* generate
segfault, so I hope that's OK.

FYI, I've tested on:

   Python 2.4a3 (#1, Sep 24 2004, 22:35:05)
   [GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2

On Win 2K(Python 2.4a3), it generates an Application Error.

   - George

##  START OF PROGRAM

import threading
import random